Tuesday, March 2, 2010

UPS Logo



My friends and I were walking past a UPS store, I told them that the UPS logo recently changed, it used to be a box and a shield, now it's a swoosh with a gradation. My friends, who studies business and commerce at Purdue saw the old logo and was appalled at how ugly it was. I was immediately taken a back, because the UPS logo, designed by Paul Rand is one of the best and most famous corporate logos in the design world. It's simplicity in showing what UPS is all about is – a carrier/packaging company that you can trust. I'm not saying that I don't like the new logo, the new logo does show the expressiveness of it's service, and it is true that hardly anyone uses strings to tie a package. But the bow in Rand's logo is so iconic that I find it pitiful they removed it in the newer logo. I was thinking why my friends would prefer the new over the old. Perhaps it's the 2D flatness in it, perhaps there isn't the 'modern' gradation, perhaps it is too traditional. Perhaps the wider audience find 3-dimensional images more 'cool' to look at.... perhaps I'm just being too nostalgialistic.

No comments:

Post a Comment