Saturday, April 24, 2010

Art & Design

There is a significant difference between art and design. Art is about what the artist wants to communicate, what feelings the artist him/herself wants to express. An artist breaks rules and creates his/her set of rules; whereas for design, it's much more planned, it's about finding the best way to communicate visually to the targeted audience. The creator's presence is more evident in art than design, since every artist is 'unique' in their own choice of expression through various medium, color, subject matter etc.

Although art and design are very different, I see them as inseparable elements especially in product design. In my own practices, I try merging design with my fine arts photography, and merge 'artsiness' to my design. (refer to Design Issues hardcopy)

The difference between art and advertising is that advertising should never be open to interpretation. - Stephen Freeman

No comments:

Post a Comment