Wednesday, April 14, 2010

Pricing


I participated in the Spring Art Sale, selling photography work both in small prints and large framed prints. What I found hard most wasn't printing and framing, nor was it the way to display my pieces. It was pricing my work. I don't want to overprice my work or else nobody would buy it; and I wouldn't want to underprice my work or else it will decrease its value. It was really hard for me to determine just the range of pricing. This made me wonder how much do I price my design work? I always get family and friends saying 'Hey Elaine, design a birthday card for your grandpa!' or 'Can you make me a cool logo?' And I always end up saying yes and doing them this favor FOR FREE, as though design is a service that you don't have to pay for. (my designs turn out bad because I don't give a shit on these favors but whatever)



I then came across this Killer Jellyfish of Graphic Design Favors poster, and saw this: "As a graphic designer, fully 92% of your time will be spent on unpaid favors." Is this true? Because if it is, that is a problem. I mean, you wouldnt' expect someone not paying a family friend who is a doctor to treat your illness, would you?

No comments:

Post a Comment